Monday, January 18, 2010

Living the Dream

I had a dream last night that the world woke up,
And everybody decided to give this stupid race thing up.
No more looking for my box as I fill out these papers,
No more knowing how I act before I show you a caper.
All race does is give you the wrong idea,
Makes you believe some lie when the truth is quite clear.
I’m on my grind and I hustle because I don’t know no better,
In reality I’m just trying to survive anywhichway, however.
But that’s not what you see, cause you already know me,
You met me last time you flipped on your t.v.
And I know you too, how you can’t bust no move,
Looking all crazy, as you think you groove.
And what does that have to do with my color?
Nothing at all, I just can’t call you my brother.
And after all the drama and the misunderstanding,
Being stuck on these colors got us not feeding our families.
Too busy being divided, when the Earth done provided,
Plenty food and shelter for us all, but we still gotta buy it.
So at the end of the day the bottom line is that green,
And we all gotta get it for all the same things.
So instead my race, focus on what I need,
I’ll do the same for you and help you get what you need.

As we celebrate a beautiful dream let’s focus on what makes us the same instead of some usually irrelevant differences. Our cultures are important, but they shouldn’t limit our compassion for our fellow man. More importantly, our cultures are much deeper than our skin tones. Our past experiences may be colored with pain because of our race, but our futures must be free from racial definition. We have already seen this year how little control we have over the world, so we must focus on our unity as we struggle to survive. Survival is special and beautiful and makes life worth living so lets help each other as much as possible, regardless of our color or creed. The content of our character is the greatest contribution we can make to our cultures and our world. One love, One life, One nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment