Monday, January 25, 2010

Everything is great.

I’m better than you, and I need you to know it,
I’m so much better than you I gotta say it, I can’t just show it.
I have more money and I have a faster car,
All around my city I’m treated just like a star.
I have a better life than you, and I know you hate it,
Without your envy, I wouldn’t have made it.
My wife is prettier, my husband is finer,
Your clothes are from Wal-mart, mine are all designer.
My kids are super smart, they even excel in the arts,
The best you can do for your family is take your kid to the city park.
I’m better than you and you wanna know why?
It’s because I say so, now go ahead and cry.
But hold up a second, what’s that you say?
You just saw my wife with some other man the other day?
My mortgage is past due and my bank account is over-drafted,
And for dinner yesterday I almost fed my kids their pet rabbit.
My son is getting held back and my daughter can’t read,
My husband is a known creeper and my car is just on a lease.
Oh, ok, man, I guess you actually know the truth,
I feel like one of these rappers that got exposed outside the vocal booth.
So my great life is all a front and there is no nirvana,
And I’m not even married, I just have a baby mama.
Man I feel bad, just like I usually do,
That’s why I focus so hard on making you feel the same way I do.

So many of us put so much effort into making things look like they are fine when they truly are not. We put lots of energy into appearing to be richer or better off than we are in hopes that we will gain the respect and reverence that someone who has actually reached the level we aspire to already receives. Instead of trying to fix our problems or make our lives better we find ways to make it look like everything is going great, when in reality the walls are coming down around us. This is even more devastating because as we appear to have everything under control we turn away those who can help us from losing control.

The great news is that although we may feel pressure to appear perfect and problem free because that’s how everyone else is, the reality is that everyone is dealing with something. No one’s life is perfect. Therefore we can put our focus on improving our own situations instead of putting up a front so that everything appears gravy. Then, once we have truly reached our nirvana we are able to help others reach the same space in their lives instead of making them feel bad about their own issues. And everyone wins. You feel better about your situation because it is on the way to being better and eventually it is actually better. And you can then help others feel the joy of living a life that is fulfilled and flourishing instead of tolerating a busted and disgusted existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment