Monday, February 4, 2013

But you're not me



Sometimes I ask my friends if they think I can make it,
Do they think I have what it takes, to the top can I take it?
And after a little while they start to respond,
giving me the opinion that I rely on,
To give the extra push to get to my goals,
But this is my situation, so I must take control.
And when I sit back and think about what they said,
That passive, aggressive hate starts to hurt my head.
I asked if I could do it, and they said maybe,
I just have to make sure that I don’t go about it lazy.
I asked if I could do it, and they said I might,
Just make sure you don’t waste your time chasing shawties all night.
I asked if I could do it, and they said If my timing is right,
But I don’t have no room for error, so I better make every move right.
I asked if they believed in me, and they claimed they did,
I just better not make the same mistakes they did.
And I appreciate the warnings and I appreciate their care,
But all them traps they speak of ain’t gonna keep me from getting there.
Because now I’ve come to realize that it’s actually easy to see,
They be thinking about themselves when they talking about me,
Imagining if they could really reach my goals,
Wondering in their heart, do they have enough soul?
 So that’s why I quit asking and just got to doing,
Because waiting on approval just makes my day ruined.
And even if they do approve I still gotta do all the work,
So I might as well just give my all cause that’s what I’m worth.
And with my true effort and support from honest, helping hands,
I can achieve any goal that starts with a solid plan.
But I’m the main one, I’m the one that has to be convinced,
So it has to start with me, my convincing must come from within.


Many times we seek advice or help from others as we try to find our path in life; sometimes we get genuinely good input for those that we seek out. However, many times after we have asked for input from others we end up feeling less able than we asked for the input.

The good news is that our outcomes are not dictated by what our supporters believe; we are in control of our destiny, and so we must be the one that believes the most in our dreams and aspirations.

Advice is a valuable thing to seek, but approval is not necessary from the outside. Only we know what we are truly capable of; so just keep it real with you and get to work. Once you’ve decided you’re going for the goal, just go, don’t wait for anyone else to say it’s okay. You already know it is.

I love you,

Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment